The challenge as we see it
In today’s world, both businesses and local governments alike need to meet increasing energy demands while achieving sustainability commitments. At the same time, waste generation levels are accelerating, leaving communities and industry looking for ways to sustainably recycle or recover resources.
Our differentiated value
Veolia’s unparalleled cross-industry expertise in energy and waste management uniquely positions us to develop solutions that unlock the energy potential of organic and, in some cases, inorganic wastes.
In developing and operating energy solutions from recovered waste streams, we help communities and industry extract maximum value from resources to encourage a sustainable, circular economy.
- Derive maximum value from resources and lower costs
- Proven solutions that reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Innovative strategies to offset non-renewable energy
- Electricity and thermal energy applications
- Progressive circular economy approaches
- Local job creation and waste reduction
Our solutions for waste streams to energy
Veolia creates cost-effective, environmentally sustainable solutions that convert waste streams to energy through methods such as anaerobic digestion and biogas, landfill gas, biomass, and fuel blending.
Waste to energy solutions:
- Anaerobic digestion & biogas - Veolia utilizes biogas from the anaerobic digestion of organic waste to fuel cogeneration facilities. By converting biosolids, fats, oils and grease into electricity and heat, Veolia can help systems increase resource productivity while reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
- Landfill gas - The methane produced in landfills can be recycled and used for the production of electricity and thermal energy, effectively diverting waste from landfills and eliminating tons of greenhouse gas emissions. Veolia offers expertise in developing and managing these solutions for a broad range of clients.
- Biomass energy - Veolia operates and maintains biomass facilities where waste streams, such as poultry litter and wood waste, are used as fuel to generate renewable, cost effective energy.
- Fuel blending -Veolia recovers the thermal energy of non-recyclable waste through combustion, generating energy that can be used in industrial processes.
Benefits for our customers
Reduce GHG emissions
Sustainable energy supply
Chickens powering the circular economy
North Carolina, home to a large-scale poultry production industry, has recently found itself with a surplus amount of chicken manure and a lack of space available for land application. In response, Veolia has partnered with Georgia Renewable Power to manage a 25 MW cogeneration plant that converts poultry litter into biomass energy – diverting up to 285,000 tons of poultry waste a year, while providing a renewable recycling solution for the local industry.
They chose this solution
Landfill Gas-to-Energy in Hickory Meadows
The energy from the plant — enough to power about 2,800 homes — is purchased by Wisconsin Public Service to partially fulfill the requirements of Wisconsin's Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS).