The challenge as we see it
Sulfuric acid is a very strong inorganic acid with qualities that make it useful for almost all industries. Some specialty industries rely on higher strength acid reactions that cannot be produced from sulfuric acid. These higher strength reactions can only be performed using sulfur trioxide, chlorosulfonic acid and oleum, which are the strongest inorganic acids produced from sulfur. Safely manufacturing, using, storing, handling and transporting sulfuric acid and high-value sulfur derivatives can be challenging.
Our differentiated value
We are experts in product safety, manufacturing, usage, storing, handling and distribution of sulfuric acid and high-value sulfur derivatives.
Our Acid Technology Center has world-class experts and hundreds of years of combined experience working with these products.
- Custom training on the handling and management of our specialized products is provided to our customers and partners.
- We have a variety of means available to us for transporting sulfur products, including barges, rail cars, portable tanks and tank trucks.
- Partnering with highly skilled transportation providers, we ensure the product gets to you on time and safely.
American Chemistry Council Responsible Care®
As an American Chemistry Council Responsible Care® member, we are committed to practices designed to continuously improve the health and safety of plant employees and nearby residents, and to minimize the impact of our operations on the environment.
Our solutions for sulfur products
Our products include:
- Sulfuric Acid (H2SO4): primarily used to manufacture fertilizers, inorganic chemical manufacturing (including chlorine drying), petroleum refining, pharmaceuticals, pulp and paper and car batteries.
- Sulfur Trioxide (SO3): primarily used to manufacture surfactants for laundry and personal care applications.
- Oleum: high strength sulfuric acid used in chemical processing applications.
- Chlorosulfonic Acid (CSA): specialty grade acid used to manufacture surfactants for personal care applications.
Properties Usage Storage Handling (PUSH) bulletins for our products are available for download.
Benefits for our customers
Recognized leader in safe handling
Distribution and logistics support
Acid Technology Center expertise
40 CFR 261.2(e) Materials that are not solid waste when recycled.
Our regeneration solutions are recycling-related manufacturing processes that are not considered to be treatment, storage or disposal of hazardous waste and are not considered a solid waste because we use/reuse certain materials as ingredients in an industrial process to make a product.
Here's how and why at a glance