The challenge as we see it
Meeting ever-stringent environmental requirements is a critical strategy in driving the industrial circular economy. Many industrial processes use a hydrofluoric acid (HF) catalyst in their manufacturing process. Part of this acid must be neutralized with a base chemical, often potassium hydroxide (KOH). Typically, the resulting material, potassium fluoride (KF), must be classified, handled and disposed as waste.
Our differentiated value
Our KOH processing and manufacturing facilities help operators recover valuable byproducts and recycle materials that would otherwise be discarded as wastes.
- We operate dedicated plants located at customer sites
- In the Gulf Coast, we operate two merchant KOH processing facilities
Our solutions for KOH Processing
Proprietary technology and its operational expertise are applied to manufacture KOH, using KF generated from HF Alkylation facilities as a feedstock. In this closed loop system, on-spec KF streams are delivered to one of our KOH processing plants, where it is used to manufacture KOH that is returned to industrial customers for use in their processes.
- Offering a lower cost alternative to purchasing virgin KOH reagent
- Delivering a reliable source of reagent meeting consistent quality specifications
- Reducing total on-site neutralization process requirements and subsequent loading on downstream waste treatment (when properly used as a feedstock, the KF is not a waste)
- Minimizing environmental impact through the recycle of waste products
- Simplifying waste treatment for HF alkylation facilities and improving focus on core processes
Veolia is uniquely positioned to service industry, government and commercial entities in improving performance, managing water, waste and energy.
40 CFR 261.2(e) Materials that are not solid waste when recycled
Our regeneration solutions are recycling-related manufacturing processes that are not considered to be treatment, storage or disposal of hazardous waste and are not considered a solid waste because we use/reuse certain materials as ingredients in an industrial process to make a product.