The challenge as we see it
Mercury has traditionally been used in medical apparatus, electrical devices, precision instruments and in conjunction with other elements to form compounds for industrial applications. Despite its widespread use, mercury is a highly toxic material that needs to be disposed of properly once it is removed from use.
Our differentiated value
We provide innovative mercury waste recycling services, designed to ensure safety and regulatory compliance, while protecting the environment.
We tailor recycling programs around your needs. By working with us, you can benefit from the following:
- (5) Five fully-permitted recycling facilities across North America
- Two RCRA Part B permitted facilities
- Company owned advanced distillation and retort technologies
- ISO14001/OHSAS-18001 certifications in Phoenix, AZ
- Company-owned nationwide transportation and logistics capabilities
- Audited and approved 3rd party transportation network
- Dedicated account and customer service representatives
- Documented packaging guidelines
- Customized reporting capabilities
Our solutions for mercury waste recycling
We will work with you to assess your recycling requirements and develop customized profiling, containers, and labeling to transport and dispose of your mercury-containing items safely. Our team will help you maintain compliance and select the most convenient service intervals for your business.
We can tailor a recycling program to fit your needs depending upon the amount of materials you need to recycle. We recycle the following items: Automotive switches; debris and contaminated soil; dental amalgam; electrical devices; fluorescent and HID lamps; medical apparatus; mercury compounds; precision instruments; and thermostats.
Our solutions make recycling mercury waste easy. We handle every step of the process to ensure compliance.
- Packaging & transportation: We’ll assist you with proper profiling, containers, and labeling in order to transport and dispose of any items containing mercury safely and legally to one of our five fully-permitted recycling facilities. We determine the best container size and composition for your needs and coordinate convenient pick-up intervals.
- On-time pick up: When we promise a pick up, we adhere to that promise. Once arrangements are made, you can count on us to be there on time.
- In-house processing: We own and operate retort ovens and distillation equipment capable of reclaiming mercury. We don’t just process the materials and then outsource mercury reclamation, we recover and work to prepare the mercury for resale or long-term storage. Our equipment is capable of handling a variety of items and we reclaim over 99% of mercury from mercury-containing wastes. With Veolia, you can trust that we have the capacity to meet your mercury recycling needs.
- Working safe: Our trained technicians adhere to the latest regulations and practices to ensure strict measures of compliance are followed. We self audit on a regular basis and have established goals of obtaining OSHA VPP or ISO certification.
- Documented compliance: Once received and recycled or disposed, we'll issue a certificate, documenting your mercury waste was received and managed in accordance with all regulations.
Mercury containing wastes are regulated by the Federal Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), which states that hazardous waste must be properly identified, stored, transported, treated and disposed of and that generators are financially responsible for cleaning up the effects of improper disposal.
Benefits for our customers
Safe, efficient recycling
Standards to meet regulatory compliance
Meeting compliance by recycling mercury waste
RecyclePak® makes recycling easy for small quantities of mercury. One price includes everything you need to begin recycling -- packaging, prepaid shipping from your facility, processing and certificates of recycling. Simply order, fill, seal and ship with the prepaid shipping label. Visit www.prepaidrecycling.com for more information
They chose this solution
After the Cold War ended, environmental regulations tightened, and the military was left with cylinders of chemical agents in storage, all containing hazardous residue requiring treatment and disposal in an environmentally compliant manner.
See how Veolia built a diverse team of experts from the industrial cleaning, electronics recycling and hazardous materials groups who worked together to develop an innovative solution for dismantling containers off-site and recycling the components.