Following a competitive bid process, Veolia was selected to operate and maintain the cogeneration plant at the Saddleback College campus where over 25,000 students attend courses in more than 100 areas of studies. Veolia will also manage several capital improvements at the central plant, in addition to providing campus-wide Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) services under a separate agreement.
The project challenges are:
- The efficient 1.5 megawatt (MW) cogeneration plant has been in continuous operation for 10 years and supplies chilled and hot water throughout the campus.
- In addition, campus power is supplied by the central plant with electricity purchased from San Diego Gas and Electric to offset peak demand.
- In support of the college’s core mission to manage its environmental impact, while ensuring the continued safety and comfort of its students and employees, the South Orange County Community College District (SOCCCD) sought an experienced partner to provide operation and maintenance (O&M) services for the Saddleback College central plant.
- As a global leader in operating and maintaining complex energy plants, Veolia was selected to provide O&M of the central plant, including power generation equipment, chilled and hot water systems and the high-voltage distribution system.
- Veolia is also providing 24/7 remote monitoring and emergency response.
- As part of the management services, Veolia has performed equipment condition assessments, implemented an EH&S program, and established new operating and maintenance guidelines and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for the central plant, in addition to meeting all performance requirements.
- Veolia will also guide the college in the implementation of several central plant capital projects.
- Following the successful implementation of Veolia’s EH&S program for the central plant, the SOCCCD requested that Veolia provide EH&S services for the entire Saddleback College campus, illustrating its strong commitment to safety and the environment.
“Our mission is to promote environment sustainability and use our resources responsibly to reduce ecological impact. Through our infrastructure investment in cogeneration technology and now our partnership with Veolia, we will continue to make strides in supporting our mission by efficiently operating our cogeneration plant operations, meeting all emission targets, and supplying reliable energy to the campus – safely.”
— John Ozurovich, director of facilities at Saddleback College
- By implementing operational and safety best practices learned from Veolia’s energy operations around the world, Saddleback College will benefit from reliable chilled and hot water and electricity, greater operational efficiencies and plant performance while meeting stringent environmental requirements.