In Person and Virtual Tours Available
Veolia Water Milwaukee offers group tours of the Jones Island Water Reclamation Plant for schools and other interested groups. Tour content can be tailored to your group’s needs, but at a minimum will include information on the wastewater treatment process, how wastewater is cleaned and returned to Lake Michigan, and how individuals can do their part to help protect this precious resource. In addition, students of all ages will learn about careers that are available within the water industry as well as the skilled trades that are necessary to support plant operations.
Virtual tours, facilitated by a tour guide, are also still available. Register today and select the tour that's right for you.
IN PERSON TOURS:
What to expect:
General Information and Safety Requirements
- Tours are offered year round (weather permitting)
- Tours are limited to Monday - Friday between 10 AM and 3 PM
- The tour will last between 1 1/2 and 2 hours
- Minimum group size is 12 people; ideal maximum group size is 25, but we will do our best to accommodate larger groups
- Attendees must be 10 years of age or older
- There is no charge for tours
- Because we operate around the clock, our facilities are constantly undergoing routine maintenance. Therefore, we cannot guarantee that your group will be able to tour the Milorganite® building and we will not know until the day of your scheduled tour.
- It is imperative that all attendees understand and comply with the dress code: Long pants, without excessive holes, and closed-toed shoes are required. Individuals who do not comply with these restrictions will not be allowed on the tour—no exceptions
- Hard hats and safety glasses will be provided and MUST be worn at all times—no exceptions.
- Attendees may have to take their hairstyles down to fit into the required hardhats
- During student tours, chaperones are responsible for helping the guides keep the students engaged and safe during the tour
- Our plant is not ADA accessible, however bus tours may be arranged (groups must provide their own transportation).
- Smoking and vaping (e-cigarettes and similar devices) are prohibited at all times during the tour. NO EXCEPTIONS.
Requirements for a walking tour that include the Milorganite(R) production facility:
All individuals must be able to walk a mile without assistance and descend 7 flights of stairs. This tour is not appropriate for individuals with sensitivity to loud noises.
Required clothing and footwear protocol for all IN PERSON participants:
- Permitted: Flat closed-toe shoes such as sneakers, loafers, or boots
- NOT PERMITTED: High heels, flip-flops, or sandals
- Permitted: Long pants such as jeans, chinos, or dress pants
- NOT PERMITTED: Skirts, capris, or shorts Please dress appropriately for the weather.
You will be outdoors, and it can be very cool by the lake!
Please be advised that Veolia or the District (MMSD) may take photos or video recordings of this public event and reproduce those images and recordings for educational and non-commercial purposes.
What to expect:
- Please plan 1 hour for the virtual tour.
- A tour guide will facilitate and lead the session which will include a question and answer session after the video tour.
- The tour coordinator will work with you to set up the date, time, and coordinate which meeting platform is preferred. Currently, we can accommodate Zoom, Microsoft Teams, and Google Meet.