Veolia Water Milwaukee offers group tours of Jones Island water reclamation facility for schools and other interested groups. Tour content can be tailored to your group’s needs, but at a minimum will include information on the wastewater treatment process, how wastewater is cleaned and returned to Lake Michigan, and how individuals can do their part to help protect this precious resource.
General Information and Safety Requirements
- Tours are offered year round (weather permitting)
- Tours are limited to Monday - Friday between 10 AM - 3 PM
- The tour will last between 1 1/2 and 2 hours
- Minimum group size is 12 people; maximum group size is 40 people
- Attendees must be 10 years of age or older
- There is no charge for tours
- Tours include an overview of the water treatment process as well as a look at how Milorganite® is manufactured. Because we operate around the clock, our facilities are constantly undergoing routine maintenance. Therefore, we cannot guarantee that your group will be able to tour the Milorganite® building and we will not know until the day of your scheduled tour.
- It is imperative that all attendees understand and comply with the the dress code- long pants, without excessive holes, and closed-toed shoes are required. Individuals who do not comply with these restrictions will not be allowed on the tour - no exceptions
- Hard hats and safety glasses will be provided and MUST be worn at all times - no exceptions. Attendees may have to take their hairstyles down to fit into the required hardhats
- During student tours, chaperones are responsible for helping the guides keep the students engaged and safe during the tour
Our plant is not ADA accessible, however bus tours may be arranged (groups must provide their own transportation).
Requirements for a walking tour that include the Milorganite(R) production facility:
• All individuals must be able to walk a mile without assistance and descend 7 flights of stairs.
• This tour is not appropriate for individuals with sensitivity to loud noises.
Required clothing and footwear protocol for all participants
Permitted: Flat closed-toe shoes such as sneakers, loafers, or boots
NOT PERMITTED: High heels, flip-flops, or sandals
Permitted: Long pants such as jeans, chinos, or dress pants
NOT PERMITTED: Skirts, capris, or shorts
Please dress appropriately for the weather. You will be outdoors, and it can be very cool by the lake!