Candles may be pretty to look at but they are a cause of home fires - and home fire deaths. Remember, a candle is an open flame, which means that it can easily ignite anything that can burn.
CANDLE WITH CARE
- Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed. Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom and other areas where people may fall asleep.
- Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn.
- Think about using flameless candles in your home. They look and smell like real candles.
IF YOU DO BURN CANDLES
make sure that you....
- Use candle holders that are sturdy, and won't tip over easily.
- Put candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.Light candles carefully. Keep your hair and any loose clothing away from the flame.
- Don't burn a candle all the way down - put it out before it gets too close to the holder or container.
- Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home.
- Have flashlights and battery-powered lighting ready to use during a power outage. Never use candles.
CANDLES AND KIDS
Never leave a child along in a room with a burning candle. Keep matches and lighters up high and out of children's reach, in a locked cabinet.
- December is the peak time of year for home candle fires.
- Roughly one-third of home candle fires started in the bedroom.
- More than half of all candle fires start when things that can burn are too close to the candle.