FACILITIESVeolia’s largest "hybrid" sulfuric acid regeneration (SAR) and sulfur burning facility, capable of both fuming and non-fuming acids, is located in Darrow, Louisiana and has been continuously upgraded since its construction in 1968. Strategically located in the heart of the Gulf Coast region on the Mississippi River, the facility can receive and ship acid via barge, rail car or tank truck. This provides our clients with the maximum logistical flexibility when servicing their spent acid regeneration needs. Our Burnside plant is ISO 14001 certified and has been recognized repeatedly by the local community and by the state of Louisiana for its strong safety and environmental compliance records.
Veolia also owns and operates three other facilities for refinery customers in Delaware City, DE; El Paso, TX; and Elizabeth, NJ that provide sulfuric acid regeneration and sulfur gas recovery services.
We also operate sulfur plants in Cincinnati, OH; Richmond, VA; and Wurtland, KY, capable of producing both fuming and non-fuming acids.
TECHNICAL EXPERTISEVeolia is proud of the technical expertise we have in one of the world’s most widely used resources, sulfuric acid. Our Acid Technology Center boasts 18 engineers who exclusively support our sufuric acid, sulfur gas, and high-value sulfur derivatives activities. They are world-class experts in their fields, lead troubleshooting and solve critical problems.
Our team of technical experts is equipped to support our refining customers with:
- Product handling and product stewardship guidance
- Non-fuming and fuming acid safety seminars
- Fuming Acid Spill Mitigation School - Desert Training
- Transportation equipment and logistics support
- Customer on-site safety training
- Emergency response drills and training
- Safety and technical literature
- Corrosion consultation for materials of construction
- Carrier assessment and training
- Best practices — procedures and equipment such as storage tanks, handling equipment, PPE, hoses, pumps, fittings, instrumentation, etc.
- Adding capability at our facilities to increase supply chain flexibility and reduce refinery limitations
- Providing engineering alternatives to improve reliability of our on-site facilities
- Improving product quality for refinery-specific concerns or considerations
- Assistance during refinery upsets to support return to normal operations
SAFETY & COMPLIANCEVeolia maintains a proven record of compliance with applicable environmental, health and safety (EHS) regulations, industry standards and company requirements. We operate according to a Goal Zero culture, which is focused on continuous improvement toward an overarching goal of zero injuries, zero incidents and zero impacts on the environment.
Our sulfuric acid sites are ISO 14000 certified and subject to the Responsible Care® program under the American Chemistry Council (ACC), which verifies industry standards are met for community awareness, emergency response, occupational safety, process safety, transportation (distribution), environmental stewardship, product stewardship and security.