FACILITIESHigh-value sulfur derivatives are produced at four of Veolia’s sulfuric acid plants, including:
- The Burnside plant in Darrow, Louisiana, produces fuming and non-fuming sulfuric acid, oleum and SO3 products. This plant also provides spent sulfuric acid regeneration services.
- The Fort Hill plant, near Cincinnati, Ohio, produces fuming and non-fuming sulfuric acid, oleum and SO3.
- The Wurtland, Kentucky, plant is the only North American producer of CSA, and also makes non-fuming sulfuric acids, oleum and SO3.
- The James River plant, located outside of Richmond, Virginia, produces fuming and non-fuming sulfuric acid as well as a specialty, high purity fuming acid used in DuPont’s manufacturing of Kevlar®.
TECHNICAL EXPERTISEVeolia is proud of the technical expertise we have in one of the world’s most widely used resources, sulfuric acid. Our Acid Technology Center boasts 18 engineers who exclusively support our sulfuric acid, sulfur gas, and high-value sulfur derivatives activities. They are world-class experts in their fields, lead troubleshooting and solve critical problems.
Our team of technical experts is equipped to support our customers with:
- Product handling and product stewardship guidance
- Non-fuming and fuming acid safety seminars
- Fuming Acid Spill Mitigation School - Desert Training
- Transportation equipment and logistics support
- Customer on-site safety training
- Emergency response drills and training
- Safety and technical literature
- Corrosion consultation for materials of construction
- Carrier assessment and training
- Best practices — procedures and equipment such as storage tanks, handling equipment, PPE, hoses, pumps, fittings, instrumentation, etc.
- Adding capability at our facilities to increase supply chain flexibility and reduce refinery limitations
- Providing engineering alternatives to improve reliability of our on-site facilities
- Improving product quality for refinery-specific concerns or considerations
- Assistance during refinery upsets to support return to normal operations
SAFETY & COMPLIANCEVeolia maintains a proven record of compliance with applicable environmental, health and safety (EHS) regulations, industry standards and company requirements. We operate according to a Goal Zero culture, which is focused on continuous improvement toward an overarching goal of zero injuries, zero incidents and zero impacts on the environment.
Our sulfuric acid sites are ISO 14000 certified and subject to the Responsible Care® program under the American Chemistry Council (ACC), which verifies industry standards are met for community awareness, emergency response, occupational safety, process safety, transportation (distribution), environmental stewardship, product stewardship and security.