North Haven, Conn. Town reaps benefits from ongoing partnership with Veolia North America for O&M of municipal wastewater treatment facilities.
A 1991 operate/maintain/manage (O&M) contract gave Veolia responsibility for the operation of the town's 4.5-MGD advanced secondary activated sludge wastewater treatment plant, nine pump stations, 110-mile collection system, sludge disposal, swimming pool/emergency generator maintenance, call before you dig" program administration and North Branford's 36-mile collection system.
- Guarantee a site-specific preventive maintenance program to protect the town's capital investment.
- Outstanding first-year treatment performance during construction and startup of $18 million upgrade to treatment facility.
- Operated facility at a $100,000 annual cost savings.
- Achieved $1 million in 10-year accumulative savings.
- Kept all major pieces of equipment involved in the upgrade working.
- Stabilized sewer rates for the first 10 years of the contract; in 2002 rates were raised a mere $10 per year.
- Operated the facility since the fall of 1993 without a lost-time accident.
- Partnership renewed twice.