Holiday Candle Safety

Candle-Safety


Candles may be pretty to look at but they are a cause of home fires - and home fire deaths. Remember, a candle is an open flame, which means that it can easily ignite anything that can burn.
 

CANDLE WITH CARE

  • Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed. Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom and other areas where people may fall asleep.
  • Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn.
  • Think about using flameless candles in your home. They look and smell like real candles.

IF YOU DO BURN CANDLES

make sure that you....
 
  • Use candle holders that are sturdy, and won't tip over easily.
  • Put candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.Light candles carefully. Keep your hair and any loose clothing away from the flame.
  • Don't burn a candle all the way down - put it out before it gets too close to the holder or container.
  • Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home.
  • Have flashlights and battery-powered lighting ready to use during a power outage.  Never use candles.


​CANDLES AND KIDS

Never leave a child along in a room with a burning candle. Keep matches and lighters up high and out of children's reach, in a locked cabinet.
 

FACTS