Baltimore, Md. Award-winning regional biosolids compost production and marketing project.
A privatized solution was required for the beneficial use of biosolids from the City of Baltimore's Back River Wastewater Treatment Plant. The partnership began in 1984 with a Veolia North America predecessor company to provide comprehensive services to support the new Baltimore City Composting Facility. Today, Veolia owns, operates and directs all marketing activities for the 45 dry-tons-per-day in-vessel biosolids composting facility which processes anaerobically digested, dewatered sludge sold to public and private users.
- Initiate Product and Process Improvement Program to enhance product quality and marketability and process optimization.
- Modify compost recipe to increase finished production to nearly triple double annual production and improve marketability.
- Develop strategic alliances with key distributors.
- Fine-tune operations and market development to meet identified market demands.
- Market ORGRO High Organic Compost product as soil amendment and turf product to professional turf managers, landscape contractors, soil blenders and golf courses through a dealer/distribution network.
- One of the most successful privately operated biosolids facilities over the past decade.
- More than two decades of perfect compliance and no odor complaints.
- Industry model for other operations to emulate.
- Consistently improved revenues from sale of composting materials
- Achieved highest Class A/EQ compost standards of the U.S. EPA and State of Maryland.
- Product sold out on regular basis because of successful marketing program and high quality compost production.
- Waste eliminated - everything that goes into the facility leaves as compost.